Handbrake is an open source tool that converts videos in any format to widely supported codecs. In simple words, we can say that it is a cross-platform video converter which is used to convert DVDs to MPEG.
It has the ability to rip DVDs for quick conversion. Not only DVDs, it also accepts any type of video as a source.
How does it work?
For conversion, you have to upload a video into the program and have to select the one from the number of ‘presets’ mentioned in the side panel. Simply use the one preset and adjust the settings based on the different formats you want a video to be converted.
The best idea is to work through the number of tabs available in the ‘Output Settings’, it will help in getting the best outcome. You can apply effects, crop the larger video, modify frame rates, change codecs and even customize specific encoding settings, and many more options to work on.
The time of converting and encoding of DVD or any video file completely depends on the size of the file, while DVD ripping time also varies on the DVD length.
Features of Handbrake
- It has easy to understand GUI, which makes it an impressive video encoder.
- This tool allows you to rip your DVDs to your computer without spending a single penny.
- It has integrated bitrate calculator that allows you to adjust the quality of the video based on the size of the final file you want to attain.
- Using this tool, you can make two-pass conversions and organize a double soundtrack to make your video more effective.
- You can even chop the black band around the video to maximize the file size.
- Other features of this tool include video filters, grayscale encoding, and basic subtitle support.
- It has a ‘Help’ button that guides you to understand how you can gain the benefits of this tool by using it in the best way.
- It is supported by Windows, Mac and Linux.
For beginners or for even some experts, video encoding can be a time consuming and frustrating process. So, when you have a conversion tool, like Handbrake, with a variety of exclusive features in a queue, you can encode a full folder of videos at the same time.
No doubt this tool is full of powerful features and handful options, you only require working on it attentively to squeeze a lot from it. It is advised to manually work on the settings to get the very best output.
The improved version of this tool is available with the number of updates and fixed issues.